Got questions?
Get answers from Cake.

Have no fear, we also have client care specialists who are happy to chat with you anytime.


Do I really need workers’ compensation coverage?

Does your business operate in a utopian world where accidents never happen? Sadly, neither do we. Also, in this world, your business could be subject to fines of up to $500 per day for not covering your employees. That’s a lot of dough.


How do I send a Certificate of Insurance?

A Certificate of Insurance is a document that proves an employer has obtained a workers’ compensation policy and the policy is currently active. To issue a certificate of insurance, all you will need to do is sign in to your Client Portal and click on "Send a Certificate". From there you will be prompted to fill in your client's information such as their business name, address and their email address. Once you email them the certificate, you can download a copy for your records from your Policy Documents in your portal.

If your client is requesting increased limits of insurance, please reach out to a member of our Client Care team and they will be happy to help.

Please be aware that Cake cannot accommodate requests to add affiliates, subsidiaries or any other additional insureds as a certificate holder.


Can I get Cake's coverage for employees outside of Colorado?

Not at this time, sorry.


How quickly can I get workers’ comp coverage?

Most quotes take about five minutes to complete. From there you can immediately buy your coverage online, which will be active the very next day.


How is my rate determined?

We calculate rates based on the type of work you do, your business’ payroll and how many work-related accidents you’ve had in the past. And how quickly you type. (Kidding.) See our blog for details on how workers' comp premiums are calculated.


How do I pay for it?

We give you the option to pay upfront or monthly. We also accept all major credit and debit cards. We will be adding pay directly from your bank account as a payment option in the near future.


My business uses contractors—are they covered?

Independent contractors typically have their own workers’ compensation policy. But if they perform work for you that is more in line with being an employee—for instance, do you provide them with tools or equipment? – then you may need to include them in your policy. Contact us to learn more. If you are a current Cake client and would like to submit an independent contractor form, you can do so by downloading the form below and sending it to our client care team ( 

Downloadable form: 

Declaration of Independent Contractor Status Form (English) 

Formulario de Declaración de Estado de Contratista Independiente (Español)


Should I include myself on the policy?

Some business owners opt to buy coverage for themselves, some opt out. Consider the type of work you do and what would happen if you are unable to work due to an injury. We are always happy to help answer your questions, contact us for more information.


Are Cake’s rates different than Pinnacol’s?

What’s different is the Cake experience, not our rates. Cake provides fast online quotes and a mobile platform to manage your policy 24/7. The rates for Pinnacol policies whether purchased from Cake, Pinnacol or a Pinnacol independent insurance agent are the same.